SQL server express 2012 installation and use it in C# to test databinding and datagridview etc.
- Adventure Works for SQL Server 2012
- Adventure Works 2014 Sample Databases
- AdventureWorks and Samples for SQL Server 2016 CTP
- Querying SQL Server 2012: Part I
- Querying SQL Server 2012: Part II
SQL 2012 express installation guide
this installation guide detailed the steps to follow, also it gave details how to configure it:
For 32-Bit machines, download the file: SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe For 64-Bit machines, download the file: SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Express
download SQL 2012 Express from this link by following the information on BillQuick guide.
- BillQuick Getting Started Guid
- How to Install SQL Server 2012 Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server Express: Version Comparison Matrix and Free Downloads
- SQL Server Express Forum
- Free eBooks from Microsoft Press for SQL Server and other Microsoft Products
- SQL Server 2016 Preview
- Editions and Components of SQL Server 2016
- Is there a difference between SQL Server Express (2012) and LocalDB?
- confusion about SQL Server Express and localdb
- SQL Express v LocalDB v SQL Compact Edition
- Introducing LocalDB, an improved SQL Express
SQL Server 2012 connection strings
a good connection string site to reference:
another good connection string site to reference:
- LocalDB Manager
- SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Getting Started with SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB
- SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB – How to get started
- How to Install SQL Server 2012 Express and SQL Server Management Studio 2012 Express :: youtube video
installation process needs following steps:
You can: Download SQL Server 2014 Express. Click the big red button that says "Download SQL Server 2012 Express" and choose the version you want. I am not certain what the differences are (after all I am only learning this myself), but I chose "Sql Server Express with Advanced Services" because it looked like it has everything one might need. So download it, install it and read on when you are done.
Next thing you need to do is install a sample database for you to work with. It is probably best if you install the same database I am using, which is the AdventureWorks2012 sample database.
Getting this was actually harder than installing SQL Server 2012. You can get it on the SQL Server Sample Database CodePlex website. At the time of this writing you can choose 14(!) downloads. What the...!? So I picked a few and got successful with the AdventureWorks2012-Full Database Backup.zip (near the bottom of list of downloads).
after download the zip file and unzip the .bak file inside. Luckily here are the steps to get this into SQL Server. Place the .bak file in your SQL Server backup folder. If you have not changed anything during installation it should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQL2012EXPRESS\MSSQL\Backup. Now go to your SQL Server 2012 instance, open up the Object Explorer (if it is not opened already) and right click on the Database folder. In the context menu go to Restore Database.
Click on "Device" and then click on the button behind it. You should now see the Select backup devices window. Click "Add" and browse to the .bak file you just unzipped (if you don't see it immediately). Select the .bak file and click "OK". Make sure you have no other files selected in the Select backup devices window. Click "OK" and you should be back in the Restore database window. You can review your options and click "OK" again. The AdventureWorks database should now be restored and ready for use.
here are my statement: from Restore database page: select device option, then click Add button. From pop-up window, browse to backup folder and select .bak file.
it tells how to set up under different enviornments and how to set up database instances. good reference.
SQL 2016 server preview are coming..
Compare SQL server express vs. LocalDB version. with good user guide on LocalDB.