Friday, May 17, 2019

how to create a bootable Ubuntu USB?

my experience showed me Rufus is more reliable to use. so I tried and failed. then search out and find this post. initally I used iso format in the last step. not I used DD format. try it again. I select DD format and it still did not work.

  1. How to Create a Bootable Linux USB Flash Drive, the Easy Way
  2. now I try to use universal installer and follow this post. at least it has no much choice as Rufus met. whole generation process is smooth. I try to boot my HP machine, it still got the same issue: kernel panic-not syncing: attempted kill init!

    but I tried on Dell T1700 machine, it works. so I think it is machine related. I did search on google, find a post relating this issue with HP machine. So it may be hardware compatible issue.
    later on, I started to use command dd to clone my hard drive. so I tried to boot from this Ubuntu USB. if I used Legacy mode to boot from this USB, it did not work out. so I reboot again, this time I used UEFI mode-> USB. Ubuntu started up. I followed instructions to clone hard drive: sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb .
    need to record my result here:

    Now I want to try Linx Mint first with Universal USB installer. then try Knoppix.

    I used Rufus + Linux Min + MBR + FAT32, then tried on HP machine. it failed again.

    so I try Rufus +Linx Mint +GPR+FAT 32, then try on my Dell XPS 15(UEFI). see if it works. it turns out my XPS 15 boot to Linux Mint first mage, then freeze there. so it failed too.

    so I now try Universal USB Installer + Linux Mint to see if it works on my XPS 15(UEFI+Windows10).on UUI webpage, it tells you clearly that it does not work on UEFI because it says oMBR only. GPT does not work.

    I try Rufus +Linux Min +GPR + NTFS. see if it works here. it is based on another post below from Thomas Krenn.

    my last try will be YUMI + FAT32 +GPR +Linux Mint. but from YUMI site, it has a special note for UEFI version: Important YUMI UEFI info: You'll need to disable secure boot (if it's enabled). Drive must be Fat32 formatted if you want to UEFI boot.


    from the first post below, we note that
    A UEFI system can't boot from NTFS, only FAT32. This means if you're booting from a USB stick to install the OS, you need one formatted with FAT32. See my recent FAQ of 11/29/12, "Q: How do I create a bootable USB stick that can install to a UEFI system?"

  3. Q: What tips will help me install Windows to a UEFI machine I built myself?
  4. Creating Windows UEFI Boot-Stick in Windows
  5. Booting Windows 7 / 10 from GPT Disk on BIOS (non-UEFI) systems

  6. How to Create Ubuntu Live USB in Windows
  7. Reload this Page [SOLVED] Failure installing Linux mint or Ubuntu on HP all in one. Comes up Kernel panic-not syncing
  8. How to format a 4TB drive as FAT32?
  9. How to Format External Hard Drive to FAT32 in Windows
  10. How to Format USB Drive and Memory Stick with NTFS
  11. the below is good post to watch to install on GPR drive.

  12. Solved: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the gpt partition style
  13. MBR and GPT Partition Tables
  14. MBR - Master Boot Record
  15. GPT - GUID Partition Table

  16. I find another good thread for installing Linux Mint (by Grub ). take note here.

  17. Reload this Page Kernel Panic after installing a updated Kernel in Linux Mint 18.1
  18. How to get to the GRUB menu at boot-time?
  19. now I tried to install another Linux version: Knoppix. I take note of following posts for more info.

  20. Information about KNOPPIX 8.1
  21. 24 versions of Knoppix available
  22. What is KNOPPIX®?

No comments:

Post a Comment