Monday, October 18, 2021

SQL server 2019 developer edition issue

Question: I installed MS SQL server developer 2019 edition last year. but now I find it occupied almost 300G on my C drive. the total size of my C drive is 500G, so I have to uninstall this SQL server 2019 instance to get enough space to install new Windows patches.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.NANSHAN\MSSQL\Log\Polybase\dump folder is big size of 300G.

One Answer: As Jacquers said, it's probably your database files. Specifically, if you have the "recovery model" set to "full", and you're not taking regular backups of the transaction logs, they will just keep growing.

You can check the log_reuse_wait_desc column in the sys.databases management view to check for other reasons why the transaction logs might not be shrinking.

run this query:
SELECT name, recovery_model_desc, log_reuse_wait_desc FROM sys.databases ORDER BY name;

MY FIX:
  1. Repair current instance to see if there is any issue: it finds my SQL server instance ID is missing. after repair, the instance ID is corrected.
  2. rename the instance ID to the one without special characters such as XXXXX0000000;
  3. install new feature: PolyBase.
  4. verify PolyBase feature from SQL server Management Studio.
  5. remove all files under this folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.NANSHAN\MSSQL\Log\Polybase\dump
  1. Fix PolyBase in SQL Server 2019 Developers Edition
  2. At MS Ignite in Orlando November 4 - 8, 2019, Microsoft announced the general availability of SQL Server 2019. At the same time, the SQL Server 2019 Developers Edition appeared as an MSDN download, and of course, I downloaded it and installed it on my dev box.

    After the installation, I noticed that PolyBase did not start up correctly, and I saw dump files all over the place. After some investigation, I figured out what the issue was, and this blog post describes the fix.

  3. Why is my SQL Log File Huge?
  4. HUGE Log files and how to troubleshoot: The single most common question I have encountered in 18+ years of working with SQL Server:

    Why is the .LDF file filling up my 500GB drive? I only have 100MB of data!!?!?!? Why am I getting error 9002?

    For new or non-DBAs, this is a very frustrating situation without a logical reason (or so it seems). It is also very common for it be be accompanied by applications that won’t work, alerts firing for drive space issues, etc.

  5. The SQL server Log folder is expanding because of the SQL Dump files (what to do with it ?)
  6. The "Log" folder SIZE in the SQL server root directory (X:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log) becomes too big , ~80 GB.

    When I checked it, I see that there are a lot of SQLDumpxxxx.mdmp /SQLDumpxxxx.txt files in that folder.

    1. what to do with them ?
    2. can I delete them and if it is good thing to do ?
  7. sqldumper error leads to C drive getting full
  8. I've installed Microsoft SQL Server 2019 following this guide. At 10:30 it was advised to change the User database directory, the User log directory and the backup directory from default to directories on drive D.

    Now I got dump files being generated at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\Polybase\dump.

  9. This is a paragraph.

  10. This is a paragraph.

  11. This is a paragraph.

  12. This is a paragraph.

  13. This is a paragraph.

  14. This is a paragraph.

  15. This is a paragraph.

  16. This is a paragraph.

  17. This is a paragraph.

  18. This is a paragraph.

  19. This is a paragraph.

  20. This is a paragraph.

  21. This is a paragraph.

  22. This is a paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment